The 10th edition of the Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) Student Course Manual reflects several changes designed to enhance the educational content and visual presentation of the prior edition.
Each chapter was rewritten and revised to ensure clear coverage of the most up-to-date scientific content, including updated references. New to the 10th edition are:
- Completely revised skills stations based on unfolding scenarios
- Emphasis on the trauma team, including a new Teamwork section at the end of each chapter and a new appendix focusing on Team Resource Management in ATLS
- Expanded Pitfalls features in each chapter to identify correlating preventive measures meant to avoid the pitfalls
- Additional skills in local hemorrhage control, including wound packing and tourniquet application
- Addition of the new Glasgow Coma Scale
- An update of terminology regarding spinal immobilization to emphasize restriction of spinal motion
- Many new photographs and medical illustrations, as well as updated management algorithms, throughout the manual
The course continues to make use of the MyATLS mobile application. The app is full of useful reference content for retrieval at the hospital bedside and for review at your leisure. Content includes:
- Interactive visuals, including treatment algorithms and x-ray identification
- Just in time video segments capturing key skills
- Calculators, including a pediatric burn calculator to determine fluid administration
- Animations, including airway management and surgical cricothyroidotomy
Students, instructors, coordinators, and educators are encouraged to access and regularly use this important tool.